5.23.2006

much as i expected

remind me to never take the last appointment of the day again. we had to wait almost an hour. i totally understand that it happens though, i wasn't mad. just hungry, but aren't i always :) things get dicey if i don't get my afternoon snack.

anyway, so i really love my neurologist he's awesome. very old school, for lack of a better way to describe it. i mean, there he is with his computer bringing everything up on the screen but then he'll sit back and look at us and just say "so how are you? tell me how things are and how you've been feeling" it's just... nice! you know?

anyway... so nothing really new. he said my exam was really good and that i looked great and healthy and all that. we talked about my episodes of panic attacks -- we think that's what they were anyway -- and he made note and seemed intrigued. we talked about holding off on my next leg surgery. which really bums me out but i recognize it's not worth it right now and if he tells me to wait i'll wait.

things i did not expect? well when he was doing my eye tests he seemed not happy with something he saw in my right eye. he checked it a few times then asked me where the neuritis had been worse. i couldn't remember. how sad is that? so he looked it up and confirmed it had been the right. once he confirmed that he didn't elaborate any further but there was something. he could have just seen the scarring, but still. that caught me a little off guard.

the other thing is that he told us last time that i'd basically see him every 6 months, doing MRIs at 6 month or 1 year intervals depending on if i had a recurrence of any symptoms or anything new. so he scheduled a new set for july... ok. but the thing that threw me is that he made a follow up appointment with me for august following the set. last time he did not do that. it was just "i'll call if there's anything but i don't expect anything so don't worry about it" kind of thing. the fact that he's already scheduled the follow up, on top of the eye thing, makes me think that he's expecting to need to discuss something. especially since he did mention treatment... if the MRI shows anything.

yeah, i'm a worrier, i know. and maybe it's nothing, but it's enough of a shift in how it has been that makes me kind of pause to think about it.

2 comments:

Irish Girl said...

Geesh. Sounds like a no news is good news sort of thing which always makes me nervous too. I'm a worrier as well though. It is easier to hear "yes, everything looks great" or "we need to do x, y, and z." I'd say he is likely having you come in after the MRI this time simply because he *didn't* do that last time. Perhaps a once yearly review with you to go over the results in person? He sounds like a great doctor that is for sure.

Panic attacks really suck. I have them when I have to do any sort of public speaking ... for example, saying my name outloud in a classroom. Yeah, I am so screwed giving the maid of honor speech this summer.

Catch up with you later. Check your email :)

Anonymous said...

I hate when I'm told to come back to my doc earlier than the usual routine, but since I've been doing this for over a decade now, I've been through enough "we just wanted to be sure" appointments that I've stopped worrying. It's hard, though, that's for sure. I hope July's tests show absolute health for you.

And it sounds like you've found a great doc -