3.28.2007

par for the course

well i talked to my mom. for an hour and a half last night.

it went much as i expected. that is, we didn't address anything.

i wanted to take my cures from her, since she was the one who initiated the contact. she hadn't been feeling well (bronchitis) so we talked about that a little, then it basically turned into a catch up session. there were a few "digs" here and there, but it was mostly how i remember talking to her being. a lot about her, and not so much about anything i had to say. same ol, same ol.

the only reference to us not talking (oh, besides her asking me where i work now -- i've been at my new job 8 months) was when she mentioned she had been having lots of dreams about grandpa (her dad, the one i was really, really close to my entire life and i still miss terribly) and i mentioned i had too. and her theory for this was that he was trying to tell us we needed to talk. that was kinda sweet, in her way.

she also asked if i wanted her to come out when the baby was born.

when it was time to go, it was a little awkward. there was a weird pause then she was like "bye" and that was it. uh, ok.

then she called me this morning, to tell m e they think she has pneumonia now. for the record, we used to talk every single morning on my ride into work (when i had one) about whatever. so this was an old pattern. she did however say that she was glad we talked yesterday and that she had missed talking to me.

so, that's all i got.

1 comment:

Irish Girl said...

Behind over here ... what's new.

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your MIL not coming to the shower. I understood that correctly, right? That she isn't coming? (sorry to directly ask for clarification, it just kinda blows my mind too!)

Second. I already miss the sunshine, warmth, and soft breezes. It's stupid spring here in MI. Soon, before we know it, it will be warm for months in a row!

Third: Although it was weird and kinda strained and all, it's nice that your Mom is making an effort to take steps to repair things (or pretend everything is ok). How did you feel when she asked if you wanted her to come out when the baby is born? Is she coming?

How's the house coming? Office done, I presume since you're working in it. Nursery back in order? Hole in ceiling repaired? What's left?

Gah ... are we having coffee this week?