3.21.2007

what i didn't need to hear

yesterday was week 29/30 OB appointment. it was with one of the doctors we had not yet met. he seemed nice enough. we listened to the heartbeat. he told me all my tests well all fine, everything was perfect. he even indulged me in telling me which way monkey was facing, just because i was curious.

then as we were wrapping things up, telling me we were moving to the every-two-week appointments now he tells me that i should be careful. careful of what you may ask? MY WEIGHT. this caught me a little by surprise. apparently, gaining 20 pounds so far is cause for caution? with 10 weeks or so left? man alive, i thought i had done well! my goal was to stay under 35 and i figured i was right on track. he told me that "i would be happier if i stayed with a weight gain under 30." oh, would i? thanks for the news flash.

now, i try very hard not to obsess about weight and i will be honest that gaining weight is weird for me, given my history. however, with the circumstances i know i need to. i'm not crazy, i swear. but that comment got under my skin. you hear of so many people who gain so much more with pregnancies. for hours after i kept saying that i couldn't BELIEVE i got the weight warning.

i'm really trying not to let it mess with me, but apparently i'm not doing a really good job of that, am i?

ugh.

1 comment:

Irish Girl said...

Well, I just saw you days ago and can tell you quite honestly that sans the baby belly you look like pre-pregnant Chris. You are doing great. 20 lbs is perfect at this point. Maybe this guy likes him some anorexic lookin' chicks or something effed up like that. Maybe he just meant to say it in passing as a simple reminder.

Surely you must know you are doing a fantastic job taking care of yourself and your baby. Don't let one comment ruffle your feathers :)

So which way was (s)he facing?